Prayer Shawls Rock


I recently talked to a woman who I had given a prayer shawl to. Amazingly, it arrived at just the right time even though I thought it was way overdue. I had also heard that her pre-teen son loved her shawl. Hear the wheels in my head turning?

At our prayer shawl meeting, we thought it would be a good idea to make him a shawl and had some brown tone yarn on hand. Acrylic Walmarty stuff, but it was cheap. But when we went to my LYS, we saw this blue yarn with flecks of orange. Perfect for a young man! I started in on it, but then thought, maybe we should ask the mom. (In retrospect it's probably a good policy to ask a parent if you're making a shawl for a child.)

I talked to her today and she was almost speechless. He loves her shawl not because it's her shawl, but because it's a prayer shawl. The colors he likes? Primary colors and he loves orange. Amazing! The yarn that was chosen is perfect for him. How great is that?

Comments