Tongues of Stone

I was at my in-laws last weekend and forgot to bring a book to read. Ended up going through the MN Conservation Volunteer, a very good issue. Here's a poem that I wanted to remember:

Proudly rising above the plain,
Immune to sun and wind and rain,
These scattered rocks and towering wall,
Like silent witnesses, recall
The history and ancient lore
Of ages vanished long before.
Here are legends carved in stone
That, once, forgotten men had known.
The rocks would tell you if they could,
What happened where they long have stood:
How frightful monsters roamed this place;
When first they saw the human race;
How once the red men with great cunning
Started herds of bison running
Over their cliffs to death below,
Where heaps of bleaching bones would show.
But all the secrets they have known
Are safely kept with tongues of stone.

- Carmen Christianson



I wanted to ask her permission to quote, but couldn't find info on her. If anyone knows where to find it, please let me know.

If you want to know what else I was up to, see my Pieceful Ewe Post, Ship Monkey Socks.

Comments