The Year of Cleaning Dangerously; the House Diet

I am not one for New Year's resolutions. However, the start of the year is always a good time for a well planned project! I had thought of doing a 7 things a week declutter project. But the more I thought about it, the more that I realized it just wasn't "me." I would fail and lose interest a few months in. Instead, I thought about what I really wanted to do and how to go about it.

The Plan:
Go through EVERYTHING in the house and get rid of stuff, organize what's left and keep the place clean while doing it! Yes, it is possible with a bit of work and planning. And yes, I am a proud Messie! So the plans had to be tailored to meet what I am actually capable of doing.

The Details:
Each month, I have a room or areas of the house that I will go through. I will go through everything - every box, nook and cranny. I will ruthlessly get rid of stuff that is not useful or beautiful, etc. Then, will organize the areas and keep it clean for the rest of the year.

At the beginning of each month, I will do a cleaning of the areas that have been decluttered. Only after that, can I go ahead and do the areas that are assigned for that month. Which means that the house gets semi-cleaned each month and I don't go backwards in the process. It would be too easy to rotate the junk around.

I will also weigh what I am getting rid of and see how much weight my house looses! Thus, the house diet.

The rooms have already been assigned months. I have planned for the upstairs mostly in the cold months, the downstairs & garage in the warmer months. I have left the main living areas until near the end of the year. Because frankly, they get dirty a lot faster than the other places. However, on my monthly cleaning, I must include the kitchen, upstairs living and bathroom - so that we can have nice clean places all year.

Now, I am not one to keep the house decluttered and clean. So this is a bit of a challenge. But it is doable! Only once a month clean, and only one area a month. No specific day to do this or that, but a free flow of when i can get to it (in a certain time). Plus, I am allowing myself to work ahead on the next area IF I complete my monthly goal on time. I will also include before & after pictures. Although I get a nervous twitch as I type that last sentence.

Here are the monthly goals:
January - upstairs bathroom, hallway, entryway
February - craft room
March - upstairs bedroom
April - laundry room
May - garage
June - downstairs bedroom
July - downstairs closet under the stairs
August - downstairs living room
September - downstairs bathroom & area outside by furnace/hot water heater
October - office
November - kitchen
December - upstairs living room and hall closet

Watch out dust and unused stuff! Quake in fear. This is the year of cleaning dangerously!

Comments