Running Free

Things have gotten a little gang agly lately with training. Some weeks I'm only able to get in 2 runs and not that many other exercise times. I am considering getting up early (gulp) to make sure I have time. We shall see. But I am still going forward when I can.

Good things:
  • I've lost 4 pounds
  • My belt is notched tighter
  • there's more definition in legs and thighs
  • I feel more fit, and like a runner
Not so good things

  • Inconsistent runs
  • Pain in feet caused me to cut a couple runs short
  • Not eating healthy enough for my liking, but still better than it was

I've been reading up on something called "Barefoot Running." If anyone knows me, they know that I don't like wearing shoes and can often be found barefoot at work. This really intrigued me. Instead of running so my heel hits first, I would run so I would hit mid-foot or ball of foot first.

Last night I got onto the treadmill after doing a bit of research, watching videos, in my own DIY way. I took it slow and easy, run 2 minutes, walk 2 minutes. And you know what? I did 4 reps that way with very little pain. It used to be that I'd finish my run session and my arches would burn and my right heel would ache painfully. But after the barefoot run, I had NO ARCH PAIN and the pain in my heel was very minimal. The only painful part was my right calf. I think it's because the form of the leg is different and it had to move differently.

I think I'm hooked.

I'm even walking without heel strikes as much as possible. And I'm noticing that I don't have as much heel pain when I do this. Duh. I'll still use my arch supports when on my feet a lot, but not for running for now.

I am a runner and I love it.

Comments

I started running barefoot because I had bad foot pain in my arch (plantar fasciitis). I can't believe how great it feels to run barefoot. Reading what you wrote here just sounds so familiar and reinforces my own experience.