Oops

This morning I heard my radio alarm go off and they were promoing a few interesting stories. So I thought I'd listen to those stories and then get up. Next thing I know, it's 45 minutes later and I missed my chance to run. I was so disappointed! Was looking forward to running. I'll have to go right after work or after my meeting tonight.

Another interesting thing to note, I got the book, Joan Samuelson's Running for Women from the library. The book hasn't appealed to me, with a pic of Joan on the cover, sweaty and on a track. And who is this Joan person, anyway?

So I had a few moments yesterday and went to youtube, looking for Kathrine Switzer videos. There was a link to the 1984 Olympics 1st women's marathon. I played it and wow, it was like a spiritual moment. Watching Joan Benoit just fly through the run and making history for women's running, choked me up a little. At the end I thought hey, that image looks familiar! Sure enough, on the cover of Joan Samuelson's book, there was Joan Benoit (can you see that the light bulb is about to go off?).

I thought well, maybe this Samuelson woman used Benoit's picture...hey wait, the full name of the author is Joan Benoit Samuelson!

*facepalm*

Needless to say, I'm excited about reading the book now.

Here's a link to the video, I hope you enjoy it as much as I have. Keep in mind:

Years of struggle went into this. In the 70's, women weren't allowed to run marathons in the US. Many women gave up their time, their own marathon running and resources so that a women's marathon could be added to the Olympics. This is history right here, in our time.

The First Gold

Comments