Best Laid Plains

I was sick yesterday, so of course I didn't run either. It's too bad, I had picked a "new" route to go on that's about 2.5 miles out and back. I actually thought of running it on Sunday, but slept in so there you go. I should be good to go for a run tomorrow.

I have been pondering something, though. Whenever I tell someone that I've take up running, usually the response goes like, "I hate running" or "I used to do that until my knees/ ankles/ hips gave out" or "I could never do that" or even "have fun with that (meaning that's crazy but if you like it, then, hey)."

Why do people feel like they need to justify why they don’t run? Or dismiss it as something weird?

The more I run and learn about running, the more I’m convinced that as a people, we have really lost something great. Not merely the physical and health aspects that have been lost, but the psychological, the societal and the spiritual. It’s all wound up in this one action. So simple, yet so seemingly unnecessary in our modern culture.

Comments