Digging Deeper

Each run, I'm increasing each of my 3 run segments by a minute. Today, I started off with 6, then 8, then 5. I'm finding that not only do I need more recovery walk between runs, but it's more than that. It's also because I want to get to the top of the hills before starting my run! So, if I stick to the same route until the 5k, then I'll be able to naturally decrease recovery time as my runs get longer. I do have alternative streets to increase my runs as well. It'll be fun to see how much farther I can go each time.

During my long run, I decided to go through the Lord's prayer to keep my mind off of what I was doing. It totally worked! By the time I had prayed and expanded parts, I was about a minute shy of my time. I think having some sort of structured thoughts to go through during the runs may be good for my mind games. I could memorize a verse, a poem, some famous sayings.

I make it up an incline to an open area and my breath caught (and not because of running). There was a lovely orange/pink glow in the background, framed by chocolate brown tree trunks and gold and orange leaves. It's one of those moments that can't be captured in a photo or even words. Something to soak up for the long winter ahead.

On my last 5 minute run, I got to a steep (to me) hill. Instead of slowing to the pace of a crippled turtle, I told myself, "dig deeper, dig deeper." I did, and I went up that hill at a jog. It was a Rocky Balboa moment! Or something like that.

Onward
I've decided to change my training from M-W-F to every other day until the 5k. And dangit, I just remember I was going to knit a hat or crown or something for the occasion! May have to go and hunt up a pattern and yarn. And I'm still not sure what I'll wear, the weather is so changeable.

Tonight I'm getting together with the Norman women (in-laws). When we last got together, I asked them all if they'd consider running a 5K with me next year. D, because of hip issues, is going to train to walk one. J is currently training for her first 5K on Jan 1. MIL is not training, but will cheer us on, I'm sure. I'm looking forward to catching up with them. And so amazed that we three are working on these goals.

Comments

It's great to read about your progress. You will be connecting those segments before you know it! It's a process that works.

We have to hold horse stance in Kung Fu for three minutes. I use a prayer that I know the length of for that too. It works really well for me.

My friend knows a 3-minute poem and that works for her.