2011 - The Year of Catching Dreams

Before I go into what I've been doing the last couple of months, I'm posting about my thoughts on the New Year. I don't make resolutions because they fail, and then one feels that one can't start again until another year. Instead of that, I am declaring a theme.

2011 - The Year of Catching Dreams

I am done with chasing them, it's time to take out the butterfly net and catch one or two. If I merely say to myself that I'll chase dreams, it is too vague of statement and gives no direction. But to catch something - that takes planning, action and a solid goal.

A little while ago, I felt restless at work. This is my usual modus operandi - after a few years, the challenge is gone and I am maintaining things, not creating and innovating. I am a Starter. If I must work for someone else, I enjoy places that I can mostly control my environment, that needs some help that I can do, that I can initiate and follow through with changes, helping things function better and be creative as much as you can in an office setting.

For years I have been following this pattern. Each job ended with mostly the same result. I grew bored after there was not much more to improve, and then started dreaming about leaving and writing as my career. With my current job, I can't even muster enough energy to look forward to another "Starter" job even though I am bored and restless now. So now, I think it's time that I really do catch that dream of writing.

I won't be able to do this all at once and still maintain our lifestyle. So there are other dreams that I am taking my butterfly net to. Here's a list, though it may not be comprehensive:

  • Writing/working from home full time. Will include writing articles, the great American novel, writing knitting patterns and selling things in my etsy store
  • Having a decluttered home - thanks to the Fly Lady
  • Maintaining a clean home - thanks to the Fly Lady
  • Being fit and active - due to running
  • Taking a more active role in social justice such as the oppression of women globally, which leads to a host of bad things
  • Drawing closer to God in the "Interior Castle"
  • Communicating better with my relationships
I do have an outlined plan for a few of these items. Not all of them can be done properly in the course of one year. But just catching one of them and moving forward on others is something that I can resolve to do this year.

Comments