Breaking A Sweat

This last week, getting back into running again, I did something that I haven't really done in awhile. I broke a sweat.

When I first started running and could barely go a minute without gasping for air and thinking I was going to die, I was sweaty all the time. But after awhile, when I was outside running, I hardly ever got sweaty, not even during my 5k.

Yeah, it was cooler out, so maybe it was harder to get real sweaty. But maybe not.

Another thing that I noticed was that I lost weight more when I sweated. When I was just out there running and pushing my endurance, and not sweating (and I don't know why not because I sure thought I was pushing myself), I didn't lose any weight.

My conclusion: sweat = weight loss.

It also probably means that I'm in my target heart rate. I don't have a good way to measure it, and there are so many different ways that you can find to find a "correct" one. So I'm just going by what I notice my body doing.

On Saturday, I walked and made sure to get myself up to the sweaty zone for at least 5 minutes. I did this by increasing the speed of the walk. I was almost up to running speed in walking!

BTW - the "sweaty zone" is when I am consistently perspiring; dripping down my face and other places.

This week, I'm going to work on getting into the sweaty zone for 5-10 minutes during my training sessions. This is my last full week before I leave the country for a little while! I am a bit nervous about how travel may set me back. But I am also glad to have started to get back into it now. Should make it easier when I get home.

I have been making exercising a priority. Tomorrow I have book group and they are doing the annual dinner & movie thing. Well, in order to have time to exercise, I'd have to get up early, and that probably won't happen. So I'm doing dinner only (bringing a salad that I can eat) and skipping the movie. Schedules can be worked out so that you can have a social life and get fit.

Comments