I Think My Scale is Broken

Over the weekend, I didn't work out at all. But here's the thing - I lost weight, a pound each day.

Now on one hand, I suppose you're not supposed to weight yourself every day because of fluctuations. So someone could argue that it's just water loss. On the other hand, I haven't weighed this little in over a year or more. I'm not counting on being down to this weight tomorrow, but it was so joyful to see the number on the scale!

As to what happened, I did a little investigation.

Wife: I lost another pound today.
Husband: nods
Wife: did you mess with the scale?
Husband: smiles, kids around, but didn't do it.

Another thought came to mind. When I was reading Make the Connection, Bob Greene had said that the first week he worked with Oprah, she lost no weight. But the next week, she lost 5 pounds. He said that this can happen a bit when losing fat through diet and exercise. Your body will hold onto the weight in water that you lost, until it is ready (adjusted to the changes) to release it. I wonder if that's what's happening to me as well.

Side note: When I read that book, I thought that I couldn't do that, it would be too hard. But now, I am doing something very similar! Maybe it's time to re-read that book.

Well, whatever is happening, I am going to keep going. I have 2 more days of run/walking before I take off. And wouldn't it be nice if, during my travels, my weight continues to go down? Not that I am expecting it to. In fact, I am expecting to be up a couple pounds. But it's nice to dream.

Comments