It's Still There

I had wondered, when I wasn't running, how long it would take to get back into it again. Would it be as hard as before? Would I be sucking air, would my lungs be burning, would I tire at 30 seconds?

Well, something, some part of running, is still there.

When I started last summer, I could barely do 30 seconds and then when I got up to 60, I couldn't do it more than 3-4 times in a session. I ended up being able to go about 10 minutes straight before feeling that lung burn.

Now, when I've started over doing 1 minute running, 2 minute walking, it's no problem, really. I've been playing with speed to make it more of a workout. Yeah, I could probably go up to the next level of 2 minute runs, but...then there's that overseas trip coming up and I may have to start over once I return.

Sidenote - but is this one of those "why wait" things again? Why wait to step it up if I can?

I'm able to do the workout without the lung burn. The difference is, I'm sweating more (see previous day's post). When I ended last fall with a 10 minute run, there was lung burn, but no sweat. Huh. I'm a bit puzzled by all of this.

Perhaps, now that I'm running to get into shape, improve my body and lose weight - rather than to train for a 5k. My focus is different. I'm focusing on getting my heart rate up, and being in that fat burning zone. I'm doing this by increasing my speed each rep, both the walk and running parts. I even increased it to a speed I hadn't been to before on the treadmill during my runs last night. It felt good, and even felt like I could go more.

So, something is there still, from my running last summer and fall. It didn't all leave and I didn't completely have to start over (even though I kind of am). And my body is ready to go again.

And I have to get over this "why wait" thing that's stuck in my head and propel my progress forward.

Comments

You made me smile to hear this! It is amazing that it's "still there" isn't it?

I'm not sure how to put this in words, but whatever level you're at, if you are working the right way, you are giving yourself the challenge you need in the moment. That's why I can be working as "well" as a really fit athlete beside me, because we are both extending ourselves to the limits of what we can do right at that moment.
Julie said…
Yes, that is so true. It comes down to the competition of self, not of each other. To be able to work with how we are, now.