Wandering Banyan Tree

Last week I scoped the occasional and weekend shops around town to see if there were any that I could sell my handmade things at and/or the crafts from India.  For booth rental, the cheapest I could find was $125 a month.  I don't think I even have that much inventory to last for very long.  But what I stumbled onto was consignment.

I am going to take in my t-shirt necklaces into Urban Violet this week. She loved my necklace before I told her that I made it, and she said she'd take all I had.

I only had one made - and that one was made that morning that I brought my samples in.  I had not intended to market them that day.

sounds of scurrying ensue

Over the weekend, I've made about 25, and then it came to tagging them.  I did want to create a "brand" or image that involved some kind of unique crafting and something to do with India - thus Wandering Banyan Tree was born.  The Banyan Tree is the national tree of India.  Under its shady branches, villages had their merchant fairs, was a gathering to buy and sell things or just a cool place to chat and gather.  The name Banyan in Hindi means merchant.  And since I now wander between here and India, I added that adjective to make the name unique.  Do you know how many businesses are called "Banyan Tree?"  Google it, it's amazing.  But none other has the "wandering" part that I can find.

Anyway, my fundraising for the next India trip has begun.  I am hoping to sell about 10 t-shirt necklaces a month and have another lead at a different shop in town.  I may even try a third shop this week as well. 

You have walked 23 miles.
You have passed Green Hill Country.
It is 4 miles to the next landmark.
You have 435 miles to reach Rivendell.

Comments