Britain - the Homeward Journey

So we walked, took the tube then flew home.  We were picked up by a friend and rediscovered our comfy couch and delivered pizza.  


I would go again to Scotland in a heartbeat.  I didn't really like London, but then I don't like crowds and busyness.  Perhaps next time I'll need to explore the west side of England.  Also, I will stay on North Ronaldsay and take the overnight ferry to the Shetlands.  And then there's Ireland and Wales.  

The Hills of Hoy from Brinkie's Brae

I would go again and just sit in the
Italian Chapel and knit and pray.

The Italian Chapel

My main prayer before going was that God would be our tour guide.  That He would take us where He wanted us to go, not where we think we should go.  And I believe this has happened.  I never made it to North Ronaldsay or Westminster Abbey, two places that were high on my list.  Yet...

at the back of the Dwarfie Stane

We were just in time at Salisbury Cathedral for prayer.  We were ushered into a church in the heart of Inverness.  We were touched by the chapels, kirks and Cathedrals.  And it wasn't only in buildings that we arrived at the right time such as the Brough of Birsay and the Birsay Tearoom, the seal spotting, C.S. Lewis Jubille and other places. 

Brough of Birsay at low tide

Every step we took, we were taken care of.  Though sometimes we were hungry or tired, tea and cakes and rest were never far away.  We were never in danger that I know of, even with the fire alarm.

 

And somewhere along the way, in a foreign place where I was always tired, I regained my health.  I no longer had to be careful of my lung capacity or the irritating cough.  

Salisbury Cathedral

We encountered a lot of religion but also a lot of faith.  We didn't do as much as I thought we would, but we did plenty.   In sunshine and in rain, we sought to experience places, not merely check them off our list.  


Long held dreams were filled.  Long time friendship was met and flourished.  
And all this is merely just two weeks.

  

Who but God could bring about all these things?  Though I made our plans, God guided us.  And as we readjust to home again, with a little sore throat from the tube and travels, perhaps the journey isn't over yet.  Perhaps some foundation has been laid for something new or something old to be new again.

Holy Trinity Church, Oxford


For God isn't done being a guide.  He has been and will continue to be there every step, even when we're not abroad.  And He will let us know when it's time to go again.





To view larger pictures, click on the photos.
To view all the posts for Britain 2013, click here.

Comments